Friday, April 27, 2018

Seven Years

 It's been an ordinary day. I woke up far too early, got up, went back to bed with coffee, then fell asleep again and had a crazy dream about being in a crowded, confusing house with far too many disparate people. This is becoming a recurring dream and it all seems so strange. Actually, that used to be my life and sometimes, even in waking hours, it still is.

I forgot that it was Mammy's anniversary.



Instead of remembering I had one of those pleasant, mooching about days. Bert and I went out for breakfast and when we came back we both pottered. I've been admiring the primroses that are naturalising at the edge of the old laneway that backs our yard. Sometimes it is good to just let nature take its course. Matty would have approved.

Bert was wondering what he should do next. It's good when that happens on a pottering day. A day when you don't have to do anything. The birds had other ideas. They started to scold because their feeders were empty. He knew what to do next. Matty would have approved of that too. She always took notice of the birds.

It was London Sister who reminded me of the day that was in it. And I remembered that last year I met the occasion with a great deal of melancholy. Not this year. She'd have approved of that.



Tomorrow we are going to her house to remove the last bits and pieces of furniture before we put it up for sale. I'm not sure what she'd have thought of that. I'm not sure what I think of that either.


Seven years. Where did it go? I think I might have spent it pottering.

3 comments:

Dalriada said...

in dreams a house can represent you. the many rooms being facets of your personality and character. thebasement=the subconcious, the upper rooms = the higher, more accessible reaches of your mind. make of this what you will! ann.

Nelly said...

That's interesting. My dreams tend to take place in crowded living areas with lots of people milling around. some I know, some I don't.

Dalriada said...

perhaps you still have a lot to discover about yourself!